Skip to content


Hub Central is your one stop shop for accessing all of the Information Technology Services and general support services at the University.

The experienced and friendly staff will be able to assist you with any enquiry and refer you to the most appropriate area of the University to have your question answered. Please see the listing under Student Computer Suites below for details of the computing facilities available to you in Hub Central and opening hours. Hub Central is located in the Barr Smith South Building at the heart of the North Terrace Campus, (university map ref J10).

The links below contain tips on how to connect to the university IT systems, where to access computers on campus and printing. We've also put together some information on non-University communications (i.e. private forms of communication), such as mobile phones, that you can arrange for yourself.

  • University Internet Access

    All students are entitled to an unlimited quota for all study-related internet usage, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Your Obligations

    Internet usage for purposes such as torrents, streaming, and other material that doesn’t apply under the Acceptable Use Policy will be monitored by the University. Please read the IT Acceptable Use and Security Policy.

    For more information, please contact the Service Desk on +61 8 8313 3000 or email


    To get connected there are two wireless networks available for you to access all internal services and the internet:


    The University’s Information Technology Service (ITS) Wireless coverage is provided throughout most of the University’s campuses - please check our coverage maps for more information.

    Wireless & Health

    There are no known safety issues with wireless equipment used by The University of Adelaide. For more information, please read the ITS wireless FAQs.

    Usage Rules

    Users of the service are subject to the rules and regulations as defined in the University IT Acceptable Use Policy.

    Having Problems Connecting?

    For the most common issues students have or to request support you can visit Level 3 or 4 of Hub Central. You can also request support online.

    Provide Feedback

    Information Technology Services welcomes honest user feedback on the wireless network to ensure we provide a service that suits you. To provide feedback on your experience visit the wireless feedback page.

  • University Internet Access from Home

    You are able to access the University’s online resources by configuring your computer and modem to dialup 8124 8124. Refer to University Communications for more information.

    Dialup Service

    It you do not have access to wireless or an ISP provider at home you are able to access the University’s IT facilities via a Dialup service. For information about how to set up remote dialup access for various operating systems and configuring your web browser’s proxy settings refer to the ITS Dialup web.

    (you will need to log in with your University username and password)

  • Private Internet Access

    Before you sign up with a private Internet Service Provider (ISP), consider all of the charges that may apply. They may include:

    • set up or registration fees
    • membership fees
    • monthly fees
    • hours included
    • excess hourly costs
    • download limits
    • bandwidth limits
    • time limits to use hours
    • any other special conditions.

    Once you have chosen a provider and a plan, you will need to ring the provider. The provider will usually talk you through the set up process. Broadband access provides a faster service. While there are some issues around broadband use in Australia, the Consumers’ Association of Australia recently conducted a survey of broadband users, so if you’re considering signing up for a broadband Internet service, look at the tips based on the survey responses from Computer CHOICE readers who already use the technology.

    List of ISPs

    A list of the Internet service providers in Adelaide is listed on the Broadband Guide. Below is a list of some Australian ISPs:

    Dodo Internet
    T: 13 36 36
    T: 13 19 17
    Telstra BigPond
    T: 13 76 63
    T: 13 17 89

  • Mobile Phone Charges

    Costs to be aware of when considering purchasing a phone are:

    • connection fees
    • monthly access fees
    • number of calls included in the access fee
    • flag fall (per call connection)
    • call charges
    • effective charges (fees increase over time).

    Finally: use your phone responsibly Remember that each time you phone a friend it’s costing you money! Dialling overseas regularly on a mobile phone is going to cost you a lot of money. Don’t get caught with a bill you cannot afford to pay—think before you use your phone.

  • Mobile Phone Options

    There are two options when joining a mobile network:
    1. Sign a contract (monthly plan)
    2. Purchase a pre-paid package


    Contracts or monthly plans offer more
    competitive call charges, but charge a monthly service fee. Also, you will be tied to a contract for the time period stated in the contract (usually 24 months/two years).

    • Make sure you find out about the length of the contract: it could be longer than the time you plan to spend in Australia.
    • Be wary of special mobile phone deals that offer ‘free’ or ‘cheap’ phones. The actual cost of the handset is probably included in the monthly price of the service contract, but call charges can be higher.
    • Be aware that many mobile phone deals may involve two separate contracts—one with the service provider for mobile services and the other with a dealer for the supply of the handset. Make sure you know the names of both companies.
    • Remember, payment terms of contracts usually include a minimum monthly charge plus call costs. If you don’t pay the monthly charge, the service provider may have the right to suspend the service whilst continuing to charge the monthly fee.


    • Pre-paid plans have higher call charges, but no monthly service fee.
    • Buying a phone may be a better option for you because you will own the phone and can then buy a pre-paid mobile phone card to a certain value, for example, $25, $30 or $50 (cards are available at delicatessens, supermarkets, petrol stations and post offices).
    • If you need a cheaper option, or only need your phone for emergencies, consider buying a second hand phone.
    • The advantage of a prepaid plan is that you can keep track of your account balance— but be aware of the call charges (usually so many cents per minute).

    To work out which option—contract or prepaid—is the best for you:

    • visit the phone stores in Rundle Mall near the University or near your home (refer to the stores listed). Also, look in the telephone directory and you will find an extensive list of stores in metropolitan Adelaide.
    • talk to other students with mobile phones about the type of deal they have.
  • Mobile Phone Stores

    155 Rundle Mall, T: 8232 2669
    Shop 6, Rundle Mall, T: 8410 7380
    158 Rundle Mall, T: 1300 100 002
    Telstra T (life)
    Cnr Rundle Mall & Pulteney Street
    T: 8223 4488

  • Things to Consider

    It is also recommended you read the following information before you purchase a phone. It was compiled from information sheets supplied by the Office of Fair Trading & Business Affairs and the Department of Justice (Victoria), and the Office of Consumer & Business Affairs (South Australia).

    • Think of the expense: mobile phones are convenient, but they have hidden costs.
    • Will you be able to pay your monthly phone bill?
    • Ask yourself: do you understand your contract conditions?
    • Think carefully about the financial and contractual obligations. By following some simple tips you can help avoid some of the more common consumer pitfalls associated with buying a mobile phone.


    Shop around—the marketplace is full of mobile phone dealers offering all sorts of deals on different types of phones.


    Don’t buy on impulse or sign the first contract you are given—take your time and check things out carefully. If you rush into a deal, you may regret it later!

    Remember, once you have signed the contract, you are the person responsible for paying the bills, so make sure you understand all of the condititerm of the agreement, cost of calls etc).


    Consider the type of coverage you want for your phone. In certain areas, some types of phones work better than others. Consider whether you want to use your phone mainly in the metropolitan area or whether you need to be able to access country and remote rural areas as well. Interstate and overseas considerations may also be important. Don’t just rely on the dealer to tell you about coverage—ask family or friends who already have a phone.

  • Phonecards

    International Phonescards

    International phonecards can be a great budgeting tool. These cards (which are different to local call cards) offer cheap-rate overseas calls. You can buy them from local newsagents, post offices, hostels and some delicatessens. Usually, they do not require a contract. Calls can be made from most telephones and on average the cost can be about a third of the usual charge. There are different rates for different countries, so shop around for the beal. However, there can be hidden costs and it is important to read the small print on brochures to find the cheapest ror your country.

    One of the main providers is CardCall who offer several different cards including Say G’day cards, and the Ozcall cards available from Australia Post or online. Phone Card Point is a website that compares the rates of cards. It is free to use, and it will help you work out the best deal for calling other countries.

    Other helpful websites


    Local phone cards

    Telstra is the main telecommunications company in Australia, and their public phones are recogni by their bright orange and blue logo.

    You can use a phone card to make local and interstate calls from a public phone. Local phone cards are available at retail outlets such as newsagents, corner shops and chemists where the ‘Telstra Phonecard Sold Here’ sign is displayed. International call cards can be used to make local and interstate calls but this can be expensive.

    Some public telephones only accept phone cards, and others only accept coins (20c, 50c, $1, $2). Some accept both.

  • Local Phone Calls

    You can use a landline or mobile phone to call local numbers in Adelaide, South Australia and other Australian states and territories or international numbers. For information on dialling codes for your home or other countries you can check your telephone directory, or check the White Pages online at—most directories contain a section on International Telephone Codes.

    Most telephone numbers in Australia are 10 digits for both mobile telephones and fixed lines. Both mobile and fixed line numbers begin with a ‘0’. Fixed line numbers are followed by the single digit area code as shown in the table. The area code does not need to be included when you are dialing the number of another fixed line in your local area. For example, if you are dialling the ISC on a mobile or fixed line from within the Adelaide Metropolitan area you would dial 8313 4828. If you were in Melbourne, and you wanted to telephone the ISC, you would need to dial 08 8313 4828.

    02 New South Wales (NSW)
    Sydney, NSW central regional, coastal areas
    02 Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
    Canberra, ACT Regional areas
    03 Victoria (VIC)
    Melbourne, VIC Regional areas
    03 Tasmania (TAS)
    Hobart, TAS Regional areas
    07 Queensland (QLD)
    Brisbane, QLD Regional areas
    08 South Australia (SA)
    Adelaide, SA Regional areas
    08 Northern Territory (NT)
    Darwin, NT Regional areas
    08 Western Australia (WA)
    Perth, WA Regional areas

  • Laptops

    You can bring your laptop on campus and go online by using the University of Adelaide Wireless Network. This network offers a number of access points for wireless Internet connection around the North Terrace campus. This service is free, but all downloads will be counted towards your Internet download quota.

    More information about this can be viewed at University of Adelaide Wireless Network.

  • Computers on Campus

    There are many places on the North Terrace campus where you can use computers and access the Internet.

    A detailed list can be viewed on the ITS Website.

    Access to some computer suites/labs are restricted to students from particular Faculties or schools—if you are unsure, please check with your School or Faculty office.

    Hub Central, Barr Smith South Building

    Hub Central has approximately 200 computers (PCs and Macs) available for student use across the three levels. There are Skype booths to speak with your friends and family at home and 11 project booths across Levels 3 and 4 with wireless connectivity throughout if you wish to bring your own computer.
    IT support and assistance is available in Hub Central at the following times:

    Level 4
    Monday – Friday 8am to 6pm

    Level 3
    Monday to Thursday 8am to 10pm
    Friday 8am to 6pm
    Saturday and Sunday 10am to 5pm

    Barr Smith Library

    Student suites and public computers are available on Levels 1–3. They have general desktop applications, but may not have specialist services or software. The suites are open during standard library hours.

    Union Building Suites

    (Level 3, Union building)

    Provides computing facilities with general desktop applications, but may not have specialist services or software.

    (Ground floor, Union building)

    Provides computing facilities with general desktop applications, but may not have specialist services or software.

    Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences

    • All ECMS students can access suites on the Basement, Ground Floor and Level 2 of the Ingkarni Wardli building.  All students can also access the suite on Level 1 of the Engineering Maths Building (Mac & PC).
    • Maths students only, can access suites on the Ground Floor of Engineering Maths.
    • Postgraduate and Honours students in Computer Science only, can access suites on Level 4 of Ingkarni Wardli.
    • Suites include access to printing, plotting, scanning and CD/DVD burning. All suites are available 24 hours, seven days a week with student card access.

    Faculty of Health Sciences

    Health Science students can access the suites in the Medical School South, Level 1, room S118 and the suites on Level 1 of the Plaza Building.

    Faculty of Arts

    • There are four computer suites in the Napier Building reserved for Humanities and Social Sciences students.

    Faculty of the Professions

    • Law students have access to the Law Library suite in the Ligertwood building.
    • First year Business and Economics students have access to computer stations in the First-year Learning Centre (Ground floor, Nexus10 building, 10 Pulteney Street).
      A dedicated learning advisor is also available daily.
    • The Professions Hub (Ground floor, Nexus 10 building) is available for students. Computer access is available Monday to Friday 7.00 am – 7.00 pm.
    • Commerce and Economics students can also access a computer suite in the basement of Security House, 233 North Terrace.
    • Architecture students can access two computing suites on Level 5 of the Architecture building. The labs have various computer graphics and CAD programs and a wireless network.

    Faculty of Sciences

    Computing and printing facilities are located in the Mawson building rooms G12, G41 and 101A, Johnson laboratories room 111.

    Roseworthy campus computer facilities

    Leske Building, Ground Floor, Rooms G18, G19, Vet School, Accommodation and Roseworthy Library, Eastick Building

    Waite campus computer facilities

    24-hour computer suites are available in Rooms 129 and 131 of the Charles Hawker building. A small number of computers are also available in the Student Union (McLeod House) and the Woolhouse Library.

  • IT Support in Hub Central

    IT student support is available during semester (9.00 am – 5.00 pm, weekdays) from Hub Central. Please enquire at a hub desk.

    Help is available for:

    • Accessing the wireless network
    • Checking internet and print quotas
    • Saving data to a secure network location
    • Getting assistance with MS Office applications
    • Student printer problems

    For more information contact the Technology Services Help Desk, phone 8313 3000, email the helpdesk or visit the website for further details.

  • Newspapers

    A good way to learn about a new culture is to listen to local radio, watch local television, or read local newspapers.

    The Advertiser newspaper will be a useful source for second hand goods, jobs, real estate, vehicles, pets and more. The Trading Post is another useful source for second hand goods. The Trading post is available online here.

    The local (community) newspapers are a good way to find out what is happening around where you live. They are free and are delivered to homes in mid week. Alternatively you can view your local community newspaper here.

    Newspapers Online

    Reading online newspapers from your home country is one way to keep up with what’s happening there. It is also an easy way to have access to something from home.

    Sometimes an event overseas (such as a flood, earthquake or political event) gets little coverage in the Australian media. Reading an online newspaper from your home country will give you more detailed information about the event, and will give you a more accurate account of what’s happening there.

    For a list of newspapers that are available online, please visit onlinenewspapers.

  • Radio

    5RPH is a radio station in Adelaide that features a series of programs where announcers read out aloud articles from daily newspapers.

    Before each article is read, the announcer gives the name of the paper, the date of the issue, the title of the article, its author and the page number.

    If you record one of these programs from the radio, and then buy the paper that was read, you will have both a written and a spoken version of the same text. You can listen to the recording as many times as you like, and then you can read the articles and listen again, to make connections between the written words and the spoken words.

    This activity will improve your listening skills (as well as keep you informed about current events).

    Radio 5RPH can be found at 1197 on the AM radio dial. Below are the names of the most relevant newspapers, and the times when they are read each week. You can find the full list of programs here. Many of the radio programs can be heard online here.

    The Advertiser Monday to Friday
    7:30am - 9:00am
    Saturday 10am to Noon
    The Australian Monday to Friday
    10:30am to 12:30pm
  • Television

    Watching movies and television in English – especially news and current affairs programs – is a good way to practise your listening skills.

    There are several radio and television stations broadcasting news, current affairs and entertainment. The Special Broadcasting Services – SBS network broadcasts in English and more than 68 other languages. For scheduling please click here.

  • Coursework Students

    Coursework students (Undergraduate and Postgraduate): The University provides a free print quota for students each semester. You can buy additional quota through Unified. Students are allocated $18 worth of printing per semester (this is approximately 225 single side, black and white, A4 sized pages). Any unused University quota from a previous printing period will not be carried forward into the next period. If you exceed your quota, you are prevented from printing until you purchase additional quota. You can check how much printing you have done online.

  • Research Students

    Check with your school to find out what their arrangements are for postgraduate printing.
    When you use an undergraduate student computer lab, you do not have a free print quota and you will be charged. If you believe that you have been mischarged, or charged for faulty printing, contact:

    Ask Adelaide
    Level 3, Hub Central
    Telephone: 8313 3363

  • English Language Programs

    The following venues offer programs and courses that can help you develop your English.

    The State Library of SA

    The State Library of South Australia holds English language conversation classes. The State Library is on North Terrace, next to the Museum. You do not need to book, and classes are free. They are run on a daily basis.

    Please contact the State Library on 8207 7250 for class times or go to the Information Desk on the first floor and ask for the monthly “ELLIS Information Sheet”. This will give you the most up to date information on the times and days of the conversation classes. For more information, see here.

    Tafe SA

    TAFESA English Language Services run English classes. You can find out the classes on offer by visiting their website, by phoning +61 8 8226 6555, or by emailing them.

    The South Australian College of English

    The South Australian College of English runs General English language classes for adults. For class details, visit their website. For more information, telephone 8410 5222 or go to the Reception, South Australian College of English, Level 1 Woodards House, 47 Waymouth Street, Adelaide.

    The Centre for English Language at the University of South Australia (CELUSA)

    The Centre for English Language at the University of South Australia (CELUSA) has a library with books, tapes, CD’s and videos. Telephone 8302 1571, or go to their website.

    The English Lanuage Centre (ELC)

    Free English language classes are also occasionally available through The University of Adelaide's English Language Centre. For more details, please contact the ELC through email, call 8313 4777, visit them at Level 9, 115 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, or visit their website.

  • English Language Classes

    Many local councils have good support services for migrants and overseas students needing additional English language assistance.  These classes are free or low cost and an excellent way to meet other overseas residents or students living in your local area.

    Please note all listed classes and times are subject to change, and you should contact the venue prior to attending your first session. If your local council is not listed here, you can find them through the SA Councils website. The following table has some examples of classes:

    Venue Class(es) Contact Details
    Eastwood Community Centre Conversational classes Friday 1:00pm – 3:00pm Can arrange other classes for groups of 6 or more Fee $4

    IELTS English Study
    Saturdays 10:00am to 11:00pm
    95 Glen Osmond Rd, Eastwood
    Phone: 8373 2225
    For more information:

    Phone 8373 2225.
    Adelaide - Hutt St Library Wednesdays
    10:30am – 12:20pm
    Classes held at: Hutt Street Library, 235 Hutt Street, Adelaide
    Phone: 8203 7990
    For more information:
    See the Adelaide City Council's Community Course Guide
    Payneham Community Centre Tuesday and Friday
    10:00am – 12:00pm
    12:00pm – 4:00pm
    (Bring your own lunch)
    374 Payneham Rd, Payneham (enrol)
    Class at Payneham Library
    Phone: 8366 4640
  • The Translating & Interpreting Service (ITS)

    The Australian Government, (through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) provides translating and interpreting services for people who do not speak English and for English speakers needing to communicate with them.

    The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) is available to any person or organisation requiring interpreting services. The service is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Telephone interpreting and on-site interpreting (where an interpreter comes to the location necessary) are available. Service charges will apply.

    For further information, contact the TIS on 131 450 or via email. Further information is available on their website.


International Student Support (Kenneth Wills Building)

Call us +61 8 8313 4828
Opening Hours: Monday 10am-5pm, Tuesday to Friday 9am-5pm
Contact us
Life in Adelaide News