Skip to content

Support Services

The University of Adelaide provides a number of different support services for international students, many available through International Student Support

  • International Student Advisors

    International Student Advisors provide individual one-on-one support to international students. You can make an appointment to speak to an Advisor if you have:

    • personal issues
    • problems with your study
    • financial issues
    • questions about your student visa or Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

    More Information

    International Student Support has general Advisors for all international student issues, as well as specialist Advisors for Australia Awards Scholarship students, Home Government Sponsored students, and for students with CoE or enrolment related issues.

    Advisors are available during office hours:
    10.00am - 5.00pm Monday,
    9.00am - 5.00pm Tuesday-Friday,
    every week of the year (excluding public holidays).

    To make an appointment to speak to an Advisor, you can contact us through the following methods:

    • Email:
    • Phone: 8313 4828
    • Visit us on Level 6 of the Hughes building, North Terrace campus
  • Medical Services & OSHC

    If you get sick when you're in Adelaide, or if you just want a check up, there are many options for seeking medical assistance.

    In Australia, for all non-emergency medical situations (eg, a cold or a headache), you should visit a General Practitioner (GP) doctor. In emergency situations (eg, a heart attack or broken bone), you can call and ambulance (on 000) and/or visit the emergency room of a hospital.

    Finding a Doctor

    Need to see a doctor? The University Health Practice is located on North Terrace Campus in the Horace Lamb Building. Their open hours are 8.30am - 5.30pm, Monday to Friday,

    Looking for a doctor outside the University? Search on Allianz's Find a Doctor website.

    If you have an emergency medical situation, you can call an ambulance on 000, and/or visit a hospital. In Australia there are both public and private hospitals.

    Dental Work

    Dental services are not covered by standard OSHC policies. If you are not sure whether your policy covers dental work, please speak directly with your OSHC provider.

    If you need dental work you will need to visit a private dentist. Please note that dental appointments in Australia can be expensive, and may cost you up to $90 for just an examination. We recommend confirming the price before seeing a dentist.

    A good starting point for finding a dentist near you is to search the Yellow Pages. If you are covered by the University's preferred provider, OSHC Allianz Global Assist, you can visit a staff member from that organisation to enquire about dental options (see information directly below).

    Your OSHC

    Staff from OSHC provider Allianz Global Assist, are available in Hub Central from 10:00am - 4.00pm, Monday - Friday.

    Other OSHC providers:

  • Counselling Support

    In Australia, it's normal to seek help and speak to a counsellor if you are feeling stressed or distressed, have academic anxiety or relationship issues, or if there are any other concern affecting your lifestyle. Counselling can help you achieve and maintain a balanced and healthy lifestyle.

    Counselling in Australia is confidential and is not reported to any outside organisation. What you say in a counselling session is private, and will not be disclosed without your consent.

    The University's Counselling Support service provides confidential and professional support to students enrolled at the University of Adelaide at no cost.

    Lifeline Australia is a personal and family counselling service that provides counselling for people of all ages. Lifeline is a safe and supportive environment adhering to respect for individuals and maintaining confidentiality of all its cases.

    For further information about maintaining a balanced, healthy lifestyle whilst succeeding academically have a look at the University's UniThrive website.

  • English and Maths Support

    If you need assistance with your English or Maths skills, the University has support services that can help.

    English Support

    The Writing Centre The Writing Centre offers support to students of all English levels to write assignments and essays
    The English Language Centre The English Language Centre offers English language classes, and occasionally hosts free classes for all English learners
    Social Programs If you are having issues with your conversational English, you may wish to consider joining our free conversation programs

    Maths Support

    The Maths Learning Centre The Maths Learning Centre help all coursework students learn and use mathematics and mathematical skills in order to succeed at university
  • Support Letters

    All support letters from the University are processed by Ask Adelaide. Please use Ask Adelaide's letter request form to obtain a verification of enrolment or completion letter.

    If you require an official academic transcript, you can order this through the University's online store.

    If your family members require an invitation letter for their visa application, you write the invitation letter yourself - the University does not provide invitation letters. For general information about how you can write an invitation letter, see our information sheet. Please note that the University cannot provide you with any specific advice related to your or your family members' visa application.

  • Student Grievances

    If you have a grievance because of a decision or action by a University of Adelaide staff member, or the action of one or more University of Adelaide students, we will do our best to help you resolve the grievance.

    There is no fee or charge to students for accessing the Student Grievance Resolution Process.

    If you wish to speak to someone outside of the University about your grievance, you can consult an Education and Welfare Officer (EWO). EWOs are not University employees, and are thus able to take an independent advocacy role on behalf of students.

  • Legal Assistance

    If you require legal help for any reason, there are several free and confidential services that are available to you.

  • Returning Home

    Finishing your studies and heading back home can be just as challenging as starting your studies.

    International Student Support has prepared a guide to help you manage the transition between finishing your studies and beginning the rest of your life.


International Student Support (Hughes Building)

Call us +61 8 8313 4828
Opening Hours: Monday 10am-5pm, Tuesday to Friday 9am-5pm
Contact us
Life in Adelaide News