Skip to content

Students with Children

Important information about health, child care, schooling, and leisure activities for children.

If you have any questions about your children's needs that aren't answered below, please contact us and we will help you find the answer.

Childcare centres provide care for children less than six years of age. All childcare centres must be licensed and meet nationally agreed standards relating to the facilities and quality of service.

Family Day Care is a service where a professional carer looks after your child in their home. It’s small group care for a maximum of 4 children under school age and 3 children of school age.

The hours of care are flexible and carers may offer full-time, part-time or occasional care. Some carers offer overnight, weekend or vacation care.

For more information see the Department for Education and Child Development.

Financial Assistance

If you are sponsored by your home government or employer you may wish to check directly with your sponsor as to whether any financial assistance is available to you to cover the cost of approved or registered child care (approved care and registered care are classifications associated with the different types of care for which you can receive Child Care Benefit, if assessed as eligible).

Please note that most sponsored and private fee paying students are solely responsible for the cost of child care, except those students who receive an Australian Commonwealth Government Scholarship. Students who are recipients of Australian Commonwealth Government Scholarships may be eligible for Child Care Benefit (CCB) (For example, Australia Awards Scholarships, Endeavour scholarship recipients).

More Information

To Obtain Financial Assistance for Childcare

  1. You will need a letter from International Student Support verifying your student and scholarship status. 
    In the letter we will include your stipend (living allowance) details.
  2. You will need to attach this letter to your application for child care benefit, plus provide any further information requested to enable assessment of your eligibility.
  3. To apply for Child Care Benefit, visit the Family Assistance Office at your nearest Medicare office or Centrelink, phone 136 150 to make an appointment.
  4. To obtain information in your native language, you can contact Centrelink on 13 12 02, or view their website.

Preschool services are provided for children in the year prior to their first year at school. They aim to further children's social, emotional, physical and intellectual development, their knowledge and understanding of the world, and to enhance their transition to school. A preschool may also be known as a kindergarten, child parent centre (CPC), or children's services centre.

In preschool, children learn through play-based programs that are designed and delivered by qualified teachers.

Some children have additional needs, which may relate specifically to:

  • disability/developmental delay
  • giftedness
  • culture/language
  • behaviour

You may find that your child's needs will be met within existing programs and facilities offered. If not, the staff will work with you to ensure a coordinated, planned response to your child's needs, and this may mean that a range of support agencies and staff from regional services may be involved.

School attendance is compulsory for all children in Australia aged between six and sixteen years of age. School attendance is from Monday to Friday, and generally from 8.45am to 3.30 pm each day. The academic year commences in late January, and the year is divided into four terms of approximately ten weeks each. There is a six-week holiday over the Christmas period and shorter holidays between each term.

In order to enrol your child in a government school, you must firstly register with the Department of Education and Child Development. You are required to complete either:

If your primary school aged child needs English language instruction within the government school system, you can enrol them in the Intensive Primary English Course (IPEC) which is an intensive English course designed to provide young children with the skills required for entering mainstream primary education classes.

Similar intensive English language support is also available at secondary school for older dependent children. Contact the Department of Education and Child Development for details of primary and secondary schools offering intensive English language support in South Australia.

There are many types of independent schools and many are affiliated with religious organisations. For example, you might choose to send your child to a Catholic, Anglican, Islamic, or Jewish school. 

Out of School Hours Care (OSHC) is provided for school age children before school starts and after school finishes. OSHC provides quality care and recreational activities specifically for primary school aged children in a fun, relaxed, and safe environment. Many OSHC programs also provide vacation care during the school holidays.

The Women’s and Children’s Hospital provides emergency care to the children of South Australia, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Hospital is the leading provider of specialist care for children with acute and chronic conditions in South Australia, as well as the State's largest maternity and obstetric service.

The Parent Helpline provides telephone information and support at any time 7 days a week (calls received between 7.15am - 9.15pm will be answered by local Parent Helpline staff; calls received outside these hours will be automatically redirected to the national healthdirect helpline).

More information

This section might give you some ideas for activities you and your children can do together.

Parks and gardens

Zoos and wildlife parks

Art galleries and museums


South Australia's more than 130 public libraries work collaboratively to provide a service to all South Australians. Libraries around the state provide a wide range of events, programs and services that cater to all ages and interests.

Attached to many public libraries are toy libraries where you can borrow toys for children of different ages and obtain information about various community activities for children.

A list of useful phone numbers. Further help lines and services can be found in the white pages and yellow pages directories.

Please Note: Calls from a land line to 1800 numbers are free of charge.

Ambulance, Fire and Police (emergency only) 000
Police Assistance (non urgent) 131 444
Women’s and Children’s Hospital 8161 7000
Parent Helpline (24 Hour Service) 1300 364 100
Child Abuse Prevention Service (24 Hour Service) 1800 688 009
Paediatric Emergency (24 Hour Service) 8161 7044
Domestic Violence Helpline 1800 800 098
Lifeline (telephone counselling service) 131 114
Men’s Line Australia (24 Hour Service) 1300 789 978
Parenting SA 8303 1660
Parent Helpline 1300 364 100
Pregnancy SA Infoline 1300 368 820
Pregnancy Counselling Australia
(24 Hour Service, Pregnancy termination alternatives
and post termination counselling)
1300 737 732
Pregnancy Help Line
(24 Hour Service, Counselling & information
for pregnant women & their families)
1300 737 732
Rape & Sexual Assault Service 1800 817 421
Rape & Sexual Assault Service (24 Hour Emergency Line) 8226 8787
Victim Support Service (for victims of crime) 8231 5626
Women’s Healthline 1300 882 880

International Student Support (Hughes Building)

Call us +61 8 8313 4828
Opening Hours: Monday 10am-5pm, Tuesday to Friday 9am-5pm
Contact us
Life in Adelaide News