Skip to content

Visa Information

Students accepted to study at the University of Adelaide will need to apply for a student visa at the nearest Australian Diplomatic Mission, Embassy, Consulate or High Commission. Visa applications are assessed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

All international students wishing to study in Australia must obtain a valid student visa. The University of Adelaide participates in Streamlined Visa Processing*, which enables students to obtain a visa within a relatively short period of time, providing all conditions are met. The University must be satisfied that you are a genuine student and that your reason for entering Australia is genuinely for the purposes of studying at the University of Adelaide. In addition to this, we must be satisfied that you are able to support yourself and your family (if you have dependents) while you are studying. This means that you must be able to meet the cost of the tuition fees and your living expenses, and that you understand that you will not be able to ask the University to waive your tuition fees or pay any of your costs while you are living in Australia.

You must have a valid Confirmation of Enrolment document (COE) before you apply for a student visa. The University of Adelaide will issue you with a COE when you have met all the conditions in your offer letter (if any) and when we are satisfied that you meet other requirements for entry to Australia.

It is very important that you contact the nearest Australian Diplomatic Mission, Embassy, Consulate or High Commission for information as early as possible in the application process.

When the payment to accept your offer is received (payment can be made by credit card or bank cheque) the University will issue a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) document, which will enable you to apply for a student visa.

For more information on student visas please consult:

Applicants may also review the information found on the University's Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (Cth) web site.

*Some programs are not eligible for Streamlined Visa Processing. These programs include Graduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas and other short programs. Visa processing times may be longer in these circumstances.

Are You Under the Age of 18?

If you will be under the age of 18 when you commence your studies at the University you must meet special conditions, as specified by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), to be eligible to be granted a student visa. You may live with an eligible relative as defined by DIBP, or if you will be 17 years of age enter into a Guardianship Arrangement with the University. Read more about visa regulations for students under the age of 18.

Student Recruitment and Admissions Services

Call us +61 8 8313 7335
Ask Adelaide (Toll free for general enquiries): 1800 061 459
Contact us
Degree Finder