Extending Your Australia Student Visa

If you wish to extend your stay in Australia, there are a few different options you can explore based on the purpose of your extended stay, and what type of visa you are able to obtain.

Only the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) and registered migration agents are licensed to give advice about immigration matters. It is important that you read through the DHA website thoroughly. Please note that there is no requirement for you to use a migration agent, and your application will not be treated any differently if you do or do not use an agent.

Visa options

The below details the types of visas you may be able to apply for and the circumstances in which you are able to extend your stay.

You may apply to remain in Australia for a short period of time on a visitor visa for the following purposes:

  • to attend your graduation ceremony
  • to stay for a holiday (if the time needed is not covered by your current student visa).

Always apply for further study before your current visa expires. If you are continuing studies, after you have accepted an offer of a place, and received a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), you must apply for a new student visa.

If you have received an offer of employment by an Australia employer able to sponsor you, you may be eligible to apply for an employer sponsored visa.

If you have completed one or more Australian degrees which required at least two years of full-time study, you may be eligible to apply for a skilled visa in Australia.

The visa allows overseas students who do not meet the criteria for a permanent General Skilled Migration visa to remain in Australia for 18 months to gain skilled work experience or improve their English language skills. More information on temporary graduate visas.

Need more information?

You may contact your nearest DHA office by ringing 131 881 for the cost of a local call, or by visiting the website at www.homeaffairs.gov.au. If you choose to contract a migration agent to assist with your visa application, you can find an agent through the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.