Settling in to Adelaide

After you've arrived in Adelaide - what next?

There are a few things that you will need to arrange after you arrive in Adelaide. It's a good idea to organise these as soon as possible, so that once Uni begins you are ready to concentrate on your studies.

  • Accommodation

    If you haven't already setup longer term accommodation, the University's accommodation service is the first place to visit for assistance finding accommodation.

  • Banking

    You will likely need to set up an Australian bank account. Though the University does not recommend any one particular bank, there are three ATMs on the North Terrace campus:

    Other banks located near the University are:

    To open a bank account, you will need to complete the Australian Government's 100-point identity check. To do this you will need to provide identification, such as your passport, student card and/or driver's license, credit card, telephone or electricity bill. Opening a student account will likely require you to show your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document to the bank.

    Tax Identification Number (TIN)

    Australia is one of many countries that requires foreign nationals to provide their Tax Identification number (TIN) when opening Bank accounts. Most banks will allow students to deposit money, however they will not be able to transact on the account until they provide their TIN.

    Read more about Tax Identification Numbers.

  • Communications and mobile phones

    If you are looking to set up a mobile (cellular) phone, a good place to start is in Rundle Mall - a shopping mall two minutes' walk from the University's North Terrace campus. The University does not recommend any mobile phone provider over any other.

    Mobile phone providers include:

  • Food and shopping

    There are several supermarkets located in the Adelaide CBD that sell everyday food items and ingredients. Some of these supermarkets include:

    Adelaide is also home to several food markets. The biggest is the Adelaide Central Market, where you can buy fresh food and ingredients from around the world.

    If you are looking for restaurants, the following streets are a good place to start in Adelaide:

    There are also various food courts around the city that serve cheap food during the day:

    Retail outlets can be found in Rundle Mall (close to the North Terrace campus) there are also various 24/7 convenience stores within the CBD.

  • Transport

    Make sure to familiarise yourself with your transport options and to get yourself an Adelaide Metro card if you will be using the public transport system.

    Driving in Australia

    All traffic drives on the left side of the road in Australia. 

    As a temporary visitor to Australia, to drive here you will need either one of these:

    • a current licence issued in another country that is written in English
    • a current licence with an English translation if necessary or an international driver's licence.

    You must carry your licence documents at all times when driving and produce these and your passport to police on request. You must not be disqualified from driving in any country. If your overseas licence expires while you are in Australia, you must get an Australian licence.

    Before driving in Australia, it is important to familiarise yourself with driving laws and road rules

    For more information, see the South Australian Government's website.


  • OSHC and the Australian health care system

    When you first arrive in Adelaide, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with the Australian health care system, as it may be different to your home country. If you hold a student visa, then you will be required to hold an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy during your time here.

    More about OSHC and the Australian health care system