University of Adelaide Veterinary Study Tour

Prepare for a career working with animals or as a veterinarian with the University of Adelaide Veterinary Study Tour.

Visit a university ranked in the top 50 in the world for veterinary science*

2019 Vet Study Tour

The study tour is an opportunity for international secondary school students to find out what it’s like to be a vet through visiting our purpose-built veterinary teaching hospital and research facilities at Roseworthy, South Australia.

Join our week-long study tour for the opportunity to:

  • Gain practical hands-on animal handling experience
  • Meet current students and find out more about studying at University of Adelaide
  • Discover the range of career opportunities available in veterinary medicine, animal science and animal behaviour
  • Learn from our leading animal and veterinary researchers through exposure to small and large animals and workshops on animal pathology, surgery, animal nutrition and behaviour
  • Visit a University ranked in the top 50 in the world for veterinary science*

You will also have the opportunity to discover why Adelaide is one of the ten most liveable cities in the world, and enjoy social and recreational activities through your homestay accommodation with an Australian family. 

Information for tour participants

Application process

Participants will be selected on a merit based system. You will receive notification of your place in the study tour by email at the end of May 2020, once we have reviewed all applications. Please do not book flights until you have received confirmation of your acceptance.  

Key dates Applications open: March 2020
Applications close: May 2020
Notification: End of May 2020
Study tour program: 1 week in July 2020
Program eligibility
  • 16+ years of age (Years 11/12/graduate)
  • Studying secondary school level chemistry and mathematics
  • Any international student currently living outside of Australia, OR an international student from any country currently living in Australia
  • English language proficiency
Submit a 200-word personal statement in English outlining why you want to participate in the program
Program cost Cost to be confirmed when applications open. Costs are inclusive of meals, airport pick-up, transport, accommodation and social activities.
Flight costs are at your own expense.
Contact Contact Nicole Eleftheriou, Events Coordinator, Faculty of Sciences
Tel: +61 8 313 4325
nicole.eleftheriou@adelaide.edu.au

Study tour program

Students are expected to arrive on the Saturday prior to the tour commencing and leave on the Sunday after the tour is completed. This will give you some free time to spend with your host family on the weekends.

Please see a sample schedule below.

  • Monday - Orientation to the University of Adelaide (including a campus tour) plus academic English session
  • Tuesday - Visit to Roseworthy to participate in Vet Science activities
  • Wednesday - Visit to Roseworthy to participate in Vet Science activities
  • Thursday - Visit to Roseworthy to participate in Vet Science activities
  • Friday - Day trip to Cleland Wildlife Park to see kangaroos, koalas and emus

The 2019 International Vet Study Tour was attended by 12 international year 10-12 students who came from Hong Kong, Indonesia, Qatar and Japan.

We have received fantastic feedback from the students. 

  • 10 participants identified they experienced a moment where they decided 'this is what I want to study'.
  • 75% rated their overall experience as very positive, with the remaining 25% rating it as positive.
  • When asked how helpful attending the study tour was on deciding what to study at university, all of the students responded either ‘extremely helpful’ or ‘very helpful’
  • 11 of 12 students rated the live animal experiences as the most valuable part of the study tour.

This program is delivered by the Faculty of Sciences and Professional and Continuing Education at the University of Adelaide.

* QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019