Students Under the Age of 18

If you are an international student under the age of 18 and you have received an offer of study from the University of Adelaide then you can commence studies at the University if you are living;

  • with your parent
  • with an eligible relative or,
  • in University approved care arrangements (17 year olds only).

Living with a parent or eligible relative

If you are planning to live with your parent or an eligible relative then you will need to have your parent complete the Welfare Arrangements form which you will receive with your offer package; you will need to complete this form before receiving a Confirmation of Enrolment. Please note you will need to provide evidence to the Department of Home Affairs that you are living with your parent or eligible relative in order to be granted a student visa.
The Department of Home Affairs define an eligible relative as a parent (including adoptive), brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt, step-uncle, niece, nephew, step-niece or step-nephew over the age of 21 years. There is no age requirement for these options.

University approved care arrangements 

The University offers an additional option for international students who wish to commence their degree studies, prior to their 18th birthday. This option is available to students who will be 17 years of age upon commencement of their University studies.
Parents and students may enter into a Welfare Monitoring Agreement with the University. Under this Agreement the University will identify suitable accommodation and provide a welfare monitoring service to international students who are 17 years of age and do not have a parent or eligible relative living in Adelaide.

The Welfare Monitoring Agreement covers:

  • Identification of an appropriate accommodation arrangement for each student.
  • Regular one-to-one contact with students via phone and face-to-face meetings.

The University will oversee any critical incident and emergency response processes required for under 18 students.

If you wish to live in University approved care you will be able to nominate this option in the Welfare Arrangements form which you will receive with your offer package. Additional charges apply.