Working while Studying

If you decide to work a part-time job while studying there are a few things to consider.

It's important to make sure the extra workload doesn’t negatively affect your studies. Here are some resources to aid your awareness of student visa conditions surrounding working hours and to be sure that you are being treated fairly by your employer. 

  • Check your visa conditions and read information from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) regarding restrictions on your work.
  • You can check your conditions on your visa grant letter or use DHA's Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)
  • Coursework students are generally limited to 40 hours work across two consecutive weeks. For example, if you work more than 30 hours in a given week, you can only work 10 hours in the week before and after so the total does not exceed 40. 
  • During University breaks you are able to work more than 40 hours in a fortnight.
  • Please see DHA's website for more comprehensive information: Department of Home Affairs - check visa details and conditions

In addition to your visa conditions, there are also working conditions you need to be aware of if you are going to work in Australia. 

Make sure you understand these things before agreeing to work in Australia. 

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Home Affairs has introduced a temporary relaxation of working hour restrictions for student visa holders. For further information, and to confirm whether you are eligible, please see the Department of Home Affairs' website.