Immigration and Visas

Interested in studying at the University of Adelaide? Understand the immigration rules and the conditions of a student visa.

Your student visa has certain conditions that are specific to international students. It is important to understand these conditions.

Immigration and your departure

Before you depart, you'll need to ensure that you have a valid visa and passport to enter Australia. Go to your nearest Australian consulate or diplomatic mission  for information about visas. The Department of Home Affairs  can also help you understand visa information.

Student visas

A student visa allows you to enter, live in and leave Australia during your degree. You are required to complete your degree before your visa expires.

You must also complete and pass a medical exam for your visa application. Additional medical exams may be required depending on your circumstances.

Student visa holders must be aware of the conditions relating to their visa. Conditions and regulations are subject to change. Student visas are managed by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), not the University.

You need to be aware that failure to comply with your visa conditions could result in the cancellation of your enrolment, which may affect your visa. It is important to take action early if you think you have a problem that could affect your student visa.

Understand your visa conditions. Common conditions for student visas include:

  • Maintaining consistent enrolment in your program.
  • Maintaining OSHC for the duration of your visa.
  • If you change addresses, notify the university within seven days of moving.
  • Studying at least 2/3 of your program in person, not online. You can take online, distance, or cross-institutional study as long as you are enrolled in at least one face-to-face University of Adelaide course per compulsory enrolment period.
  • Working no more than 48 hours per fortnight (two weeks) during official academic terms.

Please note that these are just some of your visa conditions. You should confirm your conditions using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system.

More details on visa conditions that may be affected by study alterations once you've arrived can be found under changing your study arrangements.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs for more information or to apply for a student visa.

The University cannot assist with student visa applications, or any other type of visa application. Information about how to apply for your student visa can be found on the Department of Home Affairs - Student visa website.