Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)

The Australian Government seeks to provide international students in Australia a safe and rewarding study experience. 

The University of Adelaide is a higher education provider that is registered to offer education services to international students. To provide these services to international students the University must comply with all legislation and regulations required by the Australian Government and the National Regulator, Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). 

Australia's laws promote quality education and consumer protection for international students through the ESOS Framework and protect the reputation and integrity of international education as an industry. The ESOS Framework establishes and maintains national standards for the provision of education and training services to international students. The legislation aims to protect international students and guarantee quality education. This framework includes:

•    ESOS Act 2000 and 
•    The National Code 2018

The ESOS Framework applies to students who are enrolled in a CRICOS registered program and are studying on an Australian student visa. This legislation does not apply to students in Australia on a visa other than a student visa, and does not cover certain classes of student visa holders such as Defence students or those who are sponsored by the Commonwealth under a scholarship scheme. ESOS enables the Department of Education to take action against providers who are found to be in breach of their obligations.

Your rights and responsibilities

Under the ESOS framework, students have the right to receive current and accurate information about their program and the University and its services and facilities. Before commencing their degree, students will receive a written letter of offer from the University to accept and sign that provides detailed and up-to-date information on the following: 

  • The degree, fees (including refunds), study options and other important information relevant to the degree.
  • ·The University’s obligations concerning the management and disclosure of personal information.

The University will provide international students with information about:

The University will also provide international students with:

Please note that this is not a complete list. For further information, refer to the Department of Education Skills and Employment international student fact sheet which provides further guidance on the rights and responsibilities of international students.

All students are required to adhere to University rules and policies for students. The ESOS Framework also supports the Migration Act by reinforcing students' responsibilities and conditions under their student visas. 

Holders of a student visa should ensure that they:

A breach of student visa conditions may result in the cancellation of a student's Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) with the University. Additionally, the University is required to monitor international students progress to ensure that students finish within the duration of their confirmation of enrolment. Before making any decisions about study students must consider their obligations under their student visa, as well as any academic considerations.

Additional information on studying in Australia is available from the Department of Home Affairs .

Change of passport

It is important that students notify the Department of Home Affairs  of their changed passport details, as their visa is linked to their passport number.

Students should also contact International Compliance with their new passport details and a scanned copy of their new passport so that the University can update the information on their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

Change of visa

Students should contact International Compliance if they change their visa type - for example, from a student visa to a Temporary Partner visa. International Compliance will then report this change to the Department of Education and cancel the student's Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if no longer required.

Change of residency

Students who become a Permanent Resident or citizen of Australia must ensure they notify Student Finance before the Census Date for the current study period to ensure that their fees are revised. Please note that changes to residency status for some programs, such as Medicine, Dentistry and Oral Health courses, may require a new application to the degree. Students should read the University's Change of Residency document for more information.