Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) - Your Rights & Responsibilities

The Australian Government seeks to provide international students in Australia a safe and rewarding study experience. 

The University of Adelaide is a higher education provider that is registered to offer education services to international students. To provide these services to international students the University must comply with all legislation and regulations required by the Australian Government and the National Regulator, Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). 

Australia's laws promote quality education and consumer protection for international students through the ESOS Framework and protect the reputation and integrity of international education as an industry. The ESOS Framework establishes and maintains national standards for the provision of education and training services to international students. The legislation aims to protect international students and guarantee quality education. This framework includes:

•    ESOS Act 2000 and 
•    The National Code 2018

The ESOS Framework applies only to students who are enrolled in an onshore program and study in Australia on a student visa. This legislation does not apply to students undertaking programs offshore or in Australia on a visa other than a Student Visa. ESOS enables the Department of Education and Training to take action against providers who are found to be in breach of their obligations.

  • Your rights as an international student

    Under the ESOS framework, you have the right to receive current and accurate information about your program and the University and its services and facilities. Before commencing your program the University will provide you with a written letter of offer for you to accept and sign, that provides detailed and correct information on the following: 

    The University must also provide international students with:

    Please note that this is not a complete list, or further information refer to the Department of Education international student fact sheet which provides further guidance on the rights and responsibilities of international students

  • Your responsibilities as an international student

    All students are required to adhere to University rules and policies for students. The ESOS Framework also supports the Migration Act by reinforcing students' responsibilities and conditions under their student visas. 

    If you hold a student visa, you should ensure that you:

    Breach of your student visa conditions may result in the cancellation of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) with the University. Additionally, the University is required to monitor international students our progress to ensure that students finish within the duration of their confirmation of enrolment. Before you make any decisions about your study you must consider your obligations under your student visa, as well as any academic considerations.

    Additional information on studying in Australia is available from the Department of Home Affairs.

  • Change of passport, visa, or residency status

    Change of passport

    It is important that you notify the Department of Home Affairs of your changed passport details, as your visa is linked to your passport number.

    Please also contact International Student Support with your new passport details so that we can update the information on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

    Change of visa

    Please contact International Student Support if you change your visa type - for example, from a student visa to a Temporary Partner visa. We will then report this change to the Department of Education, and cancel your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if you no longer require it.

    Change of residency

    If you become a Permanent Resident or citizen of Australia, please ensure you notify the Student Finance department before the Census Date for the current study period to ensure that your fee amount is revised. Please note that changes to residency status for some programs, such as Medicine, Dentistry and Oral Health courses, may require you to also reapply for a position in the program - please ensure you read the University's Change of Residency document for more information.

  • Tuition Protection Service

    The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is a placement and refund service for international students. On the rare occasion that an education provider is unable to deliver a program an international student has paid for and does not meet their legal obligations to make alternative course replacements or provide a refund, the TPS will assist students to find an alternative place or provide a refund of any unspent tuition fees. 

  • Further assistance

    International students with enquiries about any aspect of the ESOS Act or associated National Code can contact International Student Support. University staff can access more information about ESOS at the staff ESOS page.